Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Fever Picks: Polka Dots

I shouldn't say this is a "spring pick" because polka dots have always been my favorite. I remember wearing a white A-line dress with black polka dots to my grandparent's 50th anniversary party when I was fourteen, and Mom and Grandma assured me that I looked as classic as Lucille Ball. Who doesn't want that?

Photo Via

Polka dots can also be seen in my high school graduation party outfit, my college ID, and all over my darn Pinterest. But don't just take my word for it, Kate Spade, Anna Sui, Refinery 29, and Marie Claire know what I'm talking about.


If you're afraid of looking like Minnie Mouse, start off small with your accessories. These Asos sunglasses make a classically whimsical addition to an outfit, and this little yellow wallet from Target will make you smile every time you pull it out of your purse.
Photo via

These polka dot Converse from Delias are an easy way to add personality to jeans and a t-shirt. If uniform polka dots aren't your bag, I love these Lela Rose for Payless ballet flats. When people pick an accessory with so much color and pattern it can be difficult to combine with different outfits but here are a few ideas:

1. You can pick a color from the shoe and wear it in your outfit for a very put together look.

2. You can wear more neutral colors and make the shoes the focal point of the outfit.

3. You can throw caution to the wind and wear them however the heck you please! If wearing a bunch of color and pattern is scary, pick an accessory that matches to tie it back in with the shoes.

Stand out from the stripedy crown and trade in your nautical boat neck t-shirt for a polka dotted one. This double breasted polka dot jacket also ups the chic factor when you throw it on over a sundress or your cropped white jeans.  
  
As Mom was packing up the car to leave on Saturday, she made me promise not to spend any money on shorts (or lipstick.) But if I hadn't made that promise, these polka dot challis shorts from Target would be in my drawer. You can see them being worn with exceptional pattern mixing here from What I Wore. Also creeping in to my closet would be these polka dot skinny jeans from Quiksilver. The quirkiness is undeniable and yet they're so subtle you can wear them with anything you would pair normal jeans with. But still, I have a promise to keep... *sigh*
Photo via

There's nothing more classic than a polka dot dress, and Mom pointed this polka dot shirt dress from JC Penny that reminds me of Pretty Woman. This peach polka dotted skirt from Forever 21 is aptly named essential circle skirt and it comes in beautiful colors. I had a bear of a time making this set because you can practically pair it with anything!

Photo via

Lastly, I'd like someone to assure me that it's okay to spend this much on the beach blanket bingo swimsuit from Modcloth. I'm so used to paying $10 per piece, but I'm almost positive that this maillot de bain is magical in flattering all body types and making you look like a sexy pin up girl on the beach. Either that or its cousin at Old Navy. And that grey polka dotted skirt, egad! You should definitely try some polka dot on polka dot action.

Personally I'm loving the essential circle skirt, but which one of these pieces is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment