Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday



I couldn't be home for father's day so I tried to celebrate the way that I thought he would like: woke up early, got some coffee, went for a jog, and sat around in my underwear drinking root beer and watching westerns. Of course the run got me thinking...

I used to volunteer for the Columbus Marathon with some friends from the cross country team. We were stationed at the finish line giving away space blankets, watching the tired/overjoyed/foaming at the mouth runners cross the finish line and taking fatigued runners to the nursing station. I only had to do this once for a young female runner about the age I am now who was turning pale and the could barely stand. Once I got her in the wheel chair a man chased us down: "Are they getting you help? She needs hydration now! Are you okay?" He was verging on anger when we arrived at the nursing station to find a waiting line "Someone needs to help her NOW!" The girl covered her eyes in embarrassment and cracked a smile. "Don't worry, he's just my Dad."

That moment clicks with me because my dad is the same way. Always cheering me on, telling me to go for what I want, and always making sure I'm okay whether it's something important or trivial. Really, you couldn't ask for a better Dad.


He also introduced me to stuff like this...watch from 7:00-9:32!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

-K.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment