Wednesday, February 6, 2013

18 Days


When E signed me up for the Color Run I thought it would be easy training. I would locate one of my Pinterest plans and get to work in a month... problem being most plans start 10 weeks out and I currently have 8. Oops. Of course I can't be caught dead running outdoors, because if I were running outdoors right now I might actually BE dead. Many Chicagoans (and possibly even me this time last year) would disagree, but in my defense I was in better shape a year ago today. I had come from of a job where I walked 10+ miles a day and I jumped in to running like it was no big thing. Now the only practice I get is when I need to catch a train or run back to the time clock when my break is over...could we count that as a speed drill?


So in lieu of trail running for the time being I joined the community center gym by my apartment and the blue hairs and I have been rocking it out on the ellipticals...honestly they are so friendly. "Are you new here? Welcome!" I re-stocked the cabinets with a slew of new and healthier groceries courtesy of Muffin-Topless. I also Pinterest picked a few strength training routines to build some lean muscle in the mean time. I tried my first routine last night: Refinery 29's Beach Body workout and I am sore as all get out today. It feels fantastic.




If you recall last winter when I did try winter running I promptly gave up when I became too stressed and overwhelmed. This is probably the worst reason to quit working out seeing as it helps manage that stress, but my unemployment logic wasn't all that solid. But this time I come armed with knowledge: it takes 18 days to create a habit. If I give it my all for 18 days I will come to prioritize what my body needs to be happy which is healthy food and a nice work out. Three days in and feeling fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment